Monday 22 February 2010

Wrapping things up

I’m aware that in writing this such a long time after the event that my take on events now might be a bit skewed but I’ll do my best to remember as best I can!

In the last few days leading up to leaving Madagascar, there were a number of farewell dos.

First off, we went to St Luce to have one final farewell bush bash. We ordered three geese to feast on, had the local band come to play, filled a lot of pineapples with rum and cried a little bit.



Jim cracking on with the Pina Coladas


World's smallest pineapple


It was a beautiful few days and I don’t think I could quite believe that I wouldn’t be back in the next few months.

On arriving back to town, it was time for Lisa C (The Bag) to pack up her things as her flight was the day before mine. Hence, come Sunday night it was time for the obligatory final Chez Bernard trip.

The ladies with Bernard l-r: Me, Ailie, The Bag and Lisa


Free rums l-r: Samm, Ailie, Me, Lisa and The Bag


Lisa Bag in a Mika/Lomba sandwich


Samm and Ailie


“Mirana” aka Chez Bernard is easily the best restaurant in Fort Dauphin with a great host, Bernard himself, who keeps the fruit flavoured rum flowing til way past your bed time.

We ate amazing food, got drunk and then down to the beach for our farewell party. There was music, more rum and everybody was there. I can remember finding the whole thing very surreal but it was an amazing night topped off with a midnight swim under the full moon with the ladies. Perfect.



Chimo and The Bag

Me and The Bag

Following that, my last few days are a blur of “last times”; surfing, Mami Jo’s, Gina’s, Freedom, Libanona beach, Ankoba, THBs, brochettes, bolo’s, sunsets, bucket showers and packing of rucksacks.

Last sunset from Freedom bar

Last meal at Samm's gorgeous house


Yvon, Stacey and Samm. Last Gina's!

Me, Kate and Jim at Gina's

Then the good byes to Fort Dauphin...


...and the plane back to the UK.

No comments: